Sunday, November 14, 2010

COUNTERPOINT: Clock


For my Counterpoint project, I chose to portray the movement of people not only across time, but across design barriers, and the earth's surface itself. My form was word and my scale was place. I chose the Royal Pavillion, in England to portray this. This place sits in the middle of England and as you can tell by its exterior, is very different from any other English architecture. The materials are represented in the structure itself, a dome out of mosaic and stone. People are represented through the trade routes that are running across the map, their movement and exploration of new cultures, design styles, and ideas. Nature is represented by the unnatural location of this building in comparison to it's surroundings. And finally, symbol is represented by the structure, as a symbol of worldly knowledge. The royals of England built this Pavillion to show that they not only were aware of the world around them but embraced it as well. Infiltration, the word I chose, best describes this movement of ideas from all around the world into countries that had never seen Eastern ideas before.

No comments:

Post a Comment