Friday, September 23, 2011

BLOG ASSIGNMENT 003.

On Wednesday, we had to present a speech in class about what we learned from the DC trip.

Initially I was so nervous because I absolutely hate public speaking. I get out of breath, my hands shake, and my voice trembles. I thought the speech center representative was helpful in the aspect of laying out the speech, however, I've never really had any trouble with that. I wish they would have focused more on what to do if you're nervous. I did not visit the speaking center since we had so little time to prepare the speech but I don't really see it being helpful in such a short time period.

I think for my next presentation I just need to really work on being comfortable in front of people and controlling my breathing and heart rate.

I felt I also talked really fast through my speech and I need to focus more on slowing down and really being clear and pronounced.


Here is the diagram I presented as my visual aid:



Basically, I decided to present what I learned about the "effective" gift shop because it had the most to do with the project that we are working on for studio, for the Weatherspoon Art Museum. I broke it down into three points:

1-Placement- A gift shop needs to be placed in an area of high traffic within the museum, well traveled, and frequently seen. At the Air and Space Museum, the gift shop was at the epicenter between the main entrance, food court, theaters, and exhibits.

2-Visual Appeal- The Air and Space gift shop has a glass front, allowing merchandise to be showcased, to entice people to come in the door and explore what the store has to offer.

3-Clear Definition- A simple, well lit or visually clear sign is a key. I also find it helpful to have some indication as to where the gift shop is on signs throughout the museum. That way, if people are visiting an exhibit they enjoy, they know where to find the gift shop so that they can buy memorabilia.

No comments:

Post a Comment