Sunday, September 11, 2011

BLOG ASSIGNMENT 001.

When I first realized that we were going to the Industries of the Blind, I was excited but curious, mostly curious. Numerous times I have driven by this windowless, box of a building and wondered personally and aloud, what is that place? I was especially curious about the "Blind" part of the name. I've always been fascinated with the creative ways people have invented to help disabled people, such as sign language, Braille, etc, so I had always given this "Industry of the Blind" more than just a passing glance. When Patrick announced in class that we would be going there, I was more than ready to finally find out what lay behind those doors.

Needless to say, I was in no way shape or form disappointed by what I found there. Naturally, the lobby was extremely misleading. I felt like I was walking into an institution of some kind, stale and lifeless. I was extremely unaware and unprepared for the life that existed just up the stairwell.

Here’s a photo I took along the tour of our first glimpse of the employees at work:


I remember being in awe when he explained the statistics of production rates and the percent of defective units. Most factories with employees who are one hundred percent in all of their senses cannot even put up the numbers that they do at Industries of the Blind. I was impressed by the efficiency in the factory area, especially since they had little to no supervision. Everyone who was working seemed to be genuinely enjoying their jobs, just as the CEO had told us in the conference room before the tour. There were people talking, laughing, and joking with each other and with us. Most of the machines looked dangerous and intimidating, with fast moving parts and I couldn’t imagine operating them with my sight, much less without it. Surprisingly enough, in the first factory space we toured, I recognized a girl from my high school there working. Such a small world it can be sometimes.

Not only did I find the work ethic inspiring in the Industries of the Blind, I thought the range of products that they made there was awing as well. From when my brother served in the military, I was aware that government specifications for equipment, especially that is used in the field, had extremely specific specifications for production. I can’t imagine trying to comply to these regulations, as the production rate that they do (which was one hundred and fifty percent when we were passing through) and not have the sense that I rely on most, sight.

From the exterior, one would never guess that behind those brick walls workers are producing things to make our soldiers safe, something that I, having family in the military, greatly appreciate. I was especially inspired by the blast underwear that the CEO explained they were in the process of developing, that keep vital arteries from being severed if a soldier steps on a land mine or other explosives.

The overall atmosphere of Industries of the Blind really caught me off guard. You would never realize what happens in that building if you didn’t take the time to step inside. The people were so warm hearted and genuinely committed to the jobs that they perform everyday. I can’t wait to see the possibilities that our class comes up with to help these people invite Greensboro behind closed doors and to eliminate blindness as a disability.

Here are a few more photos from the tour. I forgot my camera that day, sadly, so these are from my cell phone.


No comments:

Post a Comment